Sabah Football Fan blog with news, schedule, result, statistic , records and more.

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Aussie Striker Joins Sabah Football Side

MELBOURNE, Nov 30 (Bernama) -- The Central Coast Mariners Football Club has released striker Michael Baird to join Malaysian Super League side Sabah FA.

The 28-year-old flew to Kota Kinabalu earlier this month for a trial with the team and impressed the coaching staff.

Baird told the Australian Federation publication he was grateful that the Mariners agreed to terminate his contract to enable him to take up the opportunity.

"The Mariners have been very supportive throughout the whole process. They allowed me to travel to Malaysia to show Sabah what I could do and, thankfully, didn't stand in my way to take up Sabah's offer.

"I am looking forward to this next test in a new environment. I like new challenges and this is something very different for me.

"I enjoyed living on the Central Coast and sincerely hope my old teammates carry on their good form for the rest of the season," he was quoted as saying.

Mariners coach Graham Arnold said he was sure Baird would excel in Malaysia.

"Michael had a good pre-season with us and of course, we are sure he will perform very well in his time with Sabah," he said.

Baird's initial contract with the team from the 35,000-capacity Likas Stadium in Kota Kinabalu is for one-season, plus an option for a further year.

-- BERNAMA
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...