Sabah Football Fan blog with news, schedule, result, statistic , records and more.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Tough task awaits Billyton

Daily Express
Ten days to prove worth

KOTA KINABALU: The Under-19 players shortlisted for the State squad in the Youth Cup competition this season will have only 10 days to prove their worth, according to newly appointed head coach Billyton Vun Ket Ming. The 40 hopefuls had their first day of training at the Likas Stadium running tracks on Monday morning and Billy told them to give their very best to convince him and his coaching team.

 “Time is a factor right now and I need to finalise the 30 names that will make the list within 10 days. “So the players will need to give their best shots during this period to show their special ability, commitment and hard work.” Billyton, who was the assistant coach for the Under-21 squad in the President Cup competition last year, admitted that he was slightly taken aback by his appointment as Youth Cup head coach.

 “I have to thank the management for their trust in me but I have to admit that I was a bit surprise with the appointment as well. “I was focusing on the Under-21 squad which I had involved in the selection of players earlier, and I guess with this appointment I will have to work extra hard because I did not handle the selection from the start. “I do not know most of the players, so first I need to know their individual skills then I can apply based on their ability to play either possession or direct football.

 “Also with the time available, I may only be able to improve the players’ physical fitness, and not enough time to work on their mental strength, but I will definitely try my very best to help them improve in that aspect.” He said his training will be a combination of fitness and games conditioning, and added that the team may not have time for any pre-season games. “I want to combine fitness and games conditioning in the training programme.

 With pre-season games and team building unlikely to take place, which may in some ways affect the players’ mental strength, I may have no option but to call up those President Cup players still eligible to play for the Under-19 to get involve with our training.” He also said players that are dropped after the 10th days may get a recall during the open window. “I will keep in view on those dropped and they may be called up during the open window to replace any of the 30 players who do not perform up to task.” In the draws released on Monday, Sabah Under-19 squad are drawn in Group B together with Terengganu IV, Kedah, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, JDT IV, Perak, Pahang, Sarawak and Penang where the Youth Cup season will begin on February 20.

 Meanwhile, head coach for the President Cup squad, Justin Ganai said with only a month to prepare the team before the start of the season on February 21, he hoped the training will run smoothly and he can guide the team to finish as best as they can at the end of the season. The Sabah President Cup team are in Group A in the competition with Kedah, JDT III, UiTM FC, Selangor, Pahang, Perlis, ATM, Selangor United, Penang, Misc–Mifa.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


By FRANCIS XAVIER

 KOTA KINABALU: Rookie coach Vun Ket Ming @ Billyton has vowed to do his level best in leading the state Under-19 side in the Youth Cup 2019 challenge that is scheduled to kick off on February 20, 2019. While surprised with his appointment, the former State flanker, who was the assistant coach with the State Under-21 team last season, is ready to shoulder the responsibility. When met at the team’s first day of training at the Likas Stadium yesterday, Billy as he is fondly known, said:

“I was surprised (with the appointment), as I thought I’ll stay with the Under-21 side, so I was focusing on the Under-21 squad (prior to the appointment). “I guess, now I will have to work harder than before because firstly I did not handle their trials (for the Under-19) earlier. Furthermore, there is also not really much time for me or the team. “For physical fitness maybe it is still possible, but to improve their mental strength may take more time and I will try my very best to get the team ready for the new season,” he added. Billy said to manage the team he needs to know their (players) individual abilities so that he can apply whatever strategy he has based on the players’ ability to play either position or direct football.

 “I will have to finalise the 30 players in the next 10 days. During this time, I hope the players will show their special ability, commitment and hard work,” said Billy, who is assisted by Faizal Ahmad with Jasrih Jabidin as his goalkeeper coach. “I want all the 40 players to imagine they are already in the final squad during training because I want to combine fitness and game conditioning. “This is because I may not have time for pre-season games and team building and this may in some ways affect their mental strength. According to him, if there is no other option, he may have to call up those President’s Cup players eligible to play for Under-19 squad to get involved with the training of the team.

 Billy also said that those players who failed to make the 30-member squad may be called up during the open window if any of the selected 30 players do not perform to the task. Meanwhile, for the new season, Sabah have been drawn in Group B alongside last year’s finalists Terengganu FC IV. The rest of the teams in the group are Kedah, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, JDT IV, Perak, Pahang, Sarawak and Penang. The draw was conducted at the TH Hotel Kelana Jaya on Sunday. Sabah Football Association was represented its Executive Secretary David Wisom at the draw. Defending champions, PKNS FC, along with Selangor United, MISC-MIFA, SSBJ B-17, Melaka, UiTM FC, Kuala Lumpur, PKNP FC, Perlis, Kelantan and Felda United FC are drawn in Group A in the two-group competition. For the record, the group stages will be played based on home and away format. The top four teams from each group will make the quarter-finals, which will also be played based on home and away format, including the semi-finals and the final.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...